can`t install PCAN USB PRO on a Windows 7 Virtual Box

This forum covers issues concerning multiple software products.

can`t install PCAN USB PRO on a Windows 7 Virtual Box

Postby recently » Thu 21. Sep 2017, 14:27

Hello,

I just installed a new Windows 7 on an Oracle VirtualBox. After some hours updating I believe that everything is up to date with Windows. Now I tried to install my USB-PRO Device. I downloaded PeakOemDrv.exe and run it. I had some problems with the .net stuff through our proxy but I did it finally with an offline installation from Microsoft. However, the Installation of the PEAK-DRIVERS 4.1.3 endet successfully. Now I inserted my USB-Pro-cable into an usb-port and did a "take-over" on the Virtual Machine . Unfortunately this ends with a yellow triangle in the devicemanager at an "USB-Verbundgerät" (USB composite device?) of the VM. The error message in the property dialog is "Das Gerät kann nicht gestartet werden (Code 10)", translation similar to "can`t start device (Code 10)" . How can I solve this Problem ?

I saw the PCAN-USB-PRO already running on a Windows7 virtual machine with VMWare. Are there any known problems with the Oracle VM ?

Thank you very much for your help !

friendly regards
recently
recently

Re: can`t install PCAN USB PRO on a Windows 7 Virtual Box

Postby M.Maidhof » Thu 21. Sep 2017, 15:01

Hi,

typically we cannot support any VM/VBox related problems, but did you install the guest extensions for your VBox client? This will be necessary to work with USB devices.

regards

Michael.
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Postby recently » Thu 21. Sep 2017, 16:10

... unfortunately yes. The guest-extensions are brandnew.

I remember a colleque saying that his USB-PRO installation under Oracle Vbox / Windows 10 failed with the same result. Seems that USB PRO is not working under Oracle VBox. It`s a pitty ... We are collecting our complete development environments of our projects into VMs to give every developer the same platform. Only the Peak stuff is generating problems doing this ... (ixxat works).

friendly regards
Henning
recently

Postby M.Maidhof » Fri 22. Sep 2017, 08:33

Hi,

in your first post you wrote that the you saw the PCAN-USB Pro already running in a VM, so why do you blame us for the problem than? Looks like you are located in Germany, so please contact us by phone, that we can have a look with teamviewer on your system, to check what can be done to solve your problem.

I have a PCAN-USB Pro running on a Win7 Host with VirualBox and an Ubuntu VM without problems. Maybe it is depending on the Vbox version you are using.

regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Postby recently » Sat 23. Sep 2017, 08:05

Hi Michael,

some statements:
- yes, I saw the USB Pro running under VMWare (but VMWare is not free)
- yes, I never saw USB PRO running under VirtualBox (It`s not a blame ... on my computers it`s a fact! Try it yourself.)

Ok, you tried Linux ...

SUMMARY "Is Peak USB PRO applicable on Virtual Machines ?" (regarding today latest versions only) :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VMWare / Windows7: yes

Virtualbox / Windows10: no
Virtualbox / Windows7: no
Virtualbox / WindowsXP: no driver available
Virtualbox / Ubuntu: yes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but typically Peak cannot support VM/VBox related problems ... this is a very clear answer !

friendly regards
Henning
recently

Postby M.Maidhof » Mon 25. Sep 2017, 08:40

Hi,

as written in my last post, If you like to get support regarding the use of VMs, please contact our support team by phone. This will be easier to see what kind of problem you have on your system.

BTW: for XP there are drivers available on our product CD (driver/WinXP directory)

regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Return to Software