VirualBox+Debian+PCAN USB

This forum covers PCAN-Linux and Linux development issues concerning our products

VirualBox+Debian+PCAN USB

Postby rampinia » Mon 28. Mar 2011, 12:04

I all,

I'm triyng to install driver under Linux Debian installed on a Oracle VirtualBox.
I already installed succesfully all the addition, all the pre-requisite listed in the peak documentation are satisfied.
I enabled the USB PCAN device in the USB filter of the virtual box to be passed on the guest OS.
When I try to select the "VER1:PEAK ..." device to be connected to the guest OS i get an error form the VirtualBox saying: "Connecting "USB UNKNOWN DEVICE" to Virtual Machine Debian fiald" with the following details:

Exit code:
E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component:
HostUSBDevice
Interface:
IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Caller:
IConsole {515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-79a52aead882}

This is due to the driver still not loaded? if a look for the pcan usb device in the lsusb o dmesg a can't find it.

Second problem: I did a succesfully compilation of the driver. when a do insmod pcan.ko

insmod: error inserting 'pcan.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

Can you please help me?
rampinia

Re: VirualBox+Debian+PCAN USB

Postby M.Maidhof » Tue 29. Mar 2011, 09:44

Hi,

your first problem is not related to our driver, even without having a driver installed, your Virtual Box should forward the USB device from the host to your VM. So please check that you have installed all necessary Virtual Box drivers on your system. Please also make a test with an other USB device.

Your second problem is related to the way you have build the linux driver. When you only want to use the PCAN-USB module, please build the driver with the following opions:

make clean
make NET=NO DNG=NO PAR=NO ISA=NO PCI=NO PCC=NO

best regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Return to Linux