Custom Transport Layer with Multi-Message-Support

This forum covers issues concerning multiple software products.

Custom Transport Layer with Multi-Message-Support

Postby tguetle » Tue 14. Nov 2017, 13:04

Hi,

in our project we use a custom transport layer (TP) with mulit message support ( payload > 8 ).
We would like to use PCAN Explorer also for this TP, and, if possible, most of the features of PCAN Explorer like the tracer, ploter and the instruments panel. We want to work with symbols at the TP layer.

Is there a ready to use solution for PCAN Explorer to implement a custom TP-layer? ( Probably not )
Is it possible to modify the PCAN-ISO TP Development package for our use? ( Probably not )

Do you see any other, simple way?

regards
tguetle
tguetle

Re: Custom Transport Layer with Multi-Message-Support

Postby M.Maidhof » Tue 14. Nov 2017, 14:30

Hi,

you can try to use a VBmacro to handle an own transport protocol. Without knowing how your TP is working, we can´t tell you if the symbols can be used or not. But the tracer will always be usable, because the CAN messages will still be the same format, even if a higher level protocol is used.

regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Postby tguetle » Thu 16. Nov 2017, 09:55

Hi,

thanks for your answer.I try to explain it more exactly:

I have a custom TP-Layer, close to the ISO-TP, but with some differences and less complex. I want to decode the CAN-Messages and with the payload of the decoded message, i want to use the PCAN-Features.
Ideally I want to...:
... define symbols for the payload of the TP-Message, similar to the symbol editor
... use these symbols to use them in other Plugins, like plotter and instruments panel
... use a tracer, that shows me the decoded messages, not each single CAN message, and not the metadata of the TP
... send a TP-Message

I'm aware:
- I do not see any chance to use the symbol editor. So i have to write a description file for the TP messages (maybe xml)
- To realize the TP layer I have to write some custom code ( but not in VB Script :evil: ).

For the rest, I think there are some approaches::
- First idea: Out of my description file, i can generate a symbolfile with virtual variables. One virtual variable for each symbol in my description file. in a PCAN-Plugin I can realize the TP layer and fill these virtual variables considering the description file. with the virtual variables i can use plotter and instruments panel
- Second idea: I realize the TP layer in PCAN-Plugin and send a CAN-FD message with the payload of the TP message (works for message size < 64 bit) on a virtual bus(?). In that case i can use symbol editor and all of the pcan features. Sending is also possible via sending a CAN-FD message over the virtual bus and translate the message in the PCAN-Plugin and send CAN messages on the pysical bus

Any other simpler ideas?

regards
tguetle
tguetle

Postby M.Maidhof » Thu 16. Nov 2017, 18:02

Hi,

yes, good ideas!

In my opinion, the fastest and best way will be to use the PCANBasic API and build an own application which will handle all your special TP layer. With such an application you can build an own trace format for your decoded messages. The API gives you access to the raw CAN bus data, so that you can handle any higher level protocol on top of it. You will find the API and the sample code on our support website (PCANBasic package).

regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Return to Software

This website uses cookies for analytics, for logins to the online shop and the forum, and for the handling of an order. By browsing this website you agree to the use of cookies. Detailed information on their use can be found in our privacy policy.

OKPrivacy Policy