PCAN-Basic hanging on Uninitialize

This forum covers issues concerning multiple software products.

PCAN-Basic hanging on Uninitialize

Postby andrewjb3 » Fri 29. Mar 2019, 13:32

I've a PC app (C#) calling into the PCAN-Basic dll. At various points it calls CAN_Uninitialize, and this sometimes hangs. A call stack is (hopefully!) attached.

Anyone on here have access to source? It's hard to generate a self-contained small sample to reproduce this without a lot of effort, but hopefully someone might be able to see what the critical section it's hanging on is for, and suggest whether there's a bug in the dll or at my end...
Attachments
PCAN.PNG
PCAN.PNG (9.86 KiB) Viewed 282 times
andrewjb3

Re: PCAN-Basic hanging on Uninitialize

Postby K.Wagner » Fri 29. Mar 2019, 14:28

Hello,

it seems as you are calling the PCAN-Basic from within another dll (MxxxBootloader.dll). Are you using critical sections in there? Are you loading the PCAN-Basic dll when the program is terminating (at DetachDll)? There are several possibilities for such a problem, but I think this is more at your end.

Maybe this document is useful for you:
Dynamic-Link Libraries Best Practices
Best regards,
Keneth
K.Wagner
Software Development
Software Development

Postby andrewjb3 » Thu 4. Apr 2019, 12:45

I've done a lot more checking into this. It's nothing to do with dll loading/unloading - the Initlaize then Uninitialize are being done whilst the app is running.

I've no critical sections in my own code. It's a critical section within the PCAN-Basic dll that it's using that's not releasing for some reason.

Do you have source access? What's the critical section object used for? Could there be a race or some such if there's data arriving on the bus just as I call Unitialise, or something like that?
andrewjb3

Postby K.Wagner » Thu 4. Apr 2019, 13:12

Hello,

andrewjb3 wrote:the Initlaize then Uninitialize are being done whilst the app is running.

This is the most basic procedure users follow with PCAN-Basic. added to this, it has been used since years mainly in multithreading scenarios. It would be very extrange to have such undetected bug of this kind in the library. Please do the test with any of the sample project: Start debugging (or start the already compiled sample), connect to a channel and start reading messages. Then just click disconnect and connect several times. Please tell us if you see the same problem with it.

andrewjb3 wrote:Do you have source access? What's the critical section object used for? Could there be a race or some such if there's data arriving on the bus just as I call Unitialise, or something like that?

Please provide us with a minimalistic test project that shows the problem, and we will test it. You can send the files to support[at}peak-system.com, mentioning this post so we can know what it is about.
Best regards,
Keneth
K.Wagner
Software Development
Software Development

Return to Software

This website uses cookies for analytics, for logins to the online shop and the forum, and for the handling of an order. By browsing this website you agree to the use of cookies. Detailed information on their use can be found in our privacy policy.

OKPrivacy Policy