PCAN-View: order of received messages

This forum covers issues concerning multiple software products.

PCAN-View: order of received messages

Postby A.Kapp » Fri 7. Dec 2012, 14:17

Hello,

sometimes the order of listed CAN messages does not comply with the timestamp (cf. attached trace).
  • Is this a problem of the hardware or the software PCAN-View?
Hardware: PCAN USB-adapter with firmware 2.8
PCAN-View: 3.2.0.212

I kind of remember having read about ordering problems, but I do not remember if this was a problem of PCAN-View, PCANBasic.dll or the hardware driver.

Kind regards,

Andreas
Attachments
PCANView_trace_wrong_order.trc
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
A.Kapp

Re: PCAN-View: order of received messages

Postby M.Maidhof » Fri 7. Dec 2012, 16:34

Hi,

the timestamps you will see in PCAN-View are based on our driver and on the SystemTicks of Windows. Are there other applications beside PCAN-View running on the same internal PEAK network and transmitting frames?

Which driver version pcan_usb.sys is used?

regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Postby A.Kapp » Mon 10. Dec 2012, 10:12

Hello,

you are right, it might be a Windows issue.

other applications beside PCAN-View running on the same internal PEAK network and transmitting frames?

PCAN-View is just used to monitor CAN traffic. The CAN network is as follows
  • Hardware: PC with PEAK PCAN-USB adapter
  • application software: Python script running a self-written DLL (C++) using PCANBasic.dll
    (just a testbed; in the "real" application the DLL will be used in another C++ program)
  • application running on DSPs answering the queries issued by the application software

Which driver version pcan_usb.sys is used?

Up to now I used PCAN-API version 1.1.0.26. Right now I have repeated the experiment using PCAN-API version 1.2.1.31.
So far I have not received this strange PCAN-View behaviour any more.

Is the reported PCAN-View behaviour (weird order of received messages) related to an outdated PCAN-API?
Up to now I thought that PCAN-View is just a CAN traffic sniffer that is independent of the application software (including PCAN-API) sending CAN messages.

Regards,

Andreas
A.Kapp

Postby M.Maidhof » Mon 10. Dec 2012, 15:26

Hi,

the timestamps are generated by the hardware and driver, so I need to know which driver version pcan_usb.sys you are using (will be displayed in PCAN-View help menu). Please don´t mix up driver version with API or dll version. When you are using the PCANBasic API, you should use the latest version 1.2.3.34.

best regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Postby LudoG » Tue 31. May 2016, 12:48

Hello,

I reactivate this thread because I have the same problem.

6 frames are sent by an ECU (connected directly with PCAN USB, no other device on the network).
The order of the frames seen by PCAN View is often wrong. See the attached trace rx_order_swapped.trc: the last 2 frames are swapped.
Moreover the display is sometimes not consistent with the time stamps. See rx_order_unsorted_time.trc: notice the last frame whose time stamp is actually lower than the frames before.

The same happens when using my own application interfacing with PCAN Basic DLL (this is the way I noticed the problem the first time).
The order of the frames was checked by adding another device on the network (from a well-known of your competitors) and it was correct.

Here are the HW/SW references:
PCAN USB IPEH-002021 133832
firmware 2.8
pcan_usb.sys 4.0.18.15889
pcan_basic.dll 4.0.4.88
PCAN View 4.0.31.444
(64-bit system, but 32-bit applications)

Are there any troubles already reported for these product versions?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Ludovic
Attachments
rx_order_unsorted_time.trc
(1012 Bytes) Downloaded 287 times
rx_order_swapped.trc
(1006 Bytes) Downloaded 272 times
LudoG

Postby M.Maidhof » Tue 31. May 2016, 15:02

Hi,

regarding the swapped timestamp, please check if you use an USB 3 hostcontroller with old chipset drivers:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=191

When you have a PCANBasic API application running with PCAN-View at the same time, the transmitted messages of your application will be faster in the trace of PCAN-View than on the real CAN bus. This is because of the internal connection of PCAN-View to the driver interface. An external device will see those messages in the correct order, just test it with another PCAN-USB on your CAN network.

regards

Michael
M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Return to Software

This website uses cookies for analytics, for logins to the online shop and the forum, and for the handling of an order. By browsing this website you agree to the use of cookies. Detailed information on their use can be found in our privacy policy.

OKPrivacy Policy